Loyal Opposition Returns With Second Instrumental Album!

 

Loyal Opposition is back! The virtuosic mind behind instrumental album ‘The Battle’ has returned with eponymous, second release ‘Loyal Opposition – II’. The Michigan-based, multi-instrumentalist is ready to unleash his distinct, indomitable brand of sound and fury; I’m so excited to see how he has developed since our last peek at his work!

Determined to expand his YouTube viewership, Loyal Opposition has proclaimed his current goal of vast distribution, hoping to attract an agent who can help refine his skills.

To help him on his merry way, I thought I’d share my insights once more and sink my teeth into ‘Loyal Opposition – II’!

*

With this album adopting the same instrumental approach as ‘The Battle’, we are thrust into the dune-gold gusts of Egyptian-esque melodies in ‘Byzantine’. The listener is immediately wooed by the lithe rainfall of the smoke-tinged drumbeat that laces around the entire single.

Synonymous with Loyal Opposition, of course, every element of the sultry-spiced harmonies is intelligently crafted to be played with the sincerest of passions and it serves the hypnotic tonality seamlessly!

When Loyal Opposition delivers the amorous pizzicato of his guitar, you feel as if you are being told a tale around a campfire - and alike the earth you would sit upon – the foundation of the track is rich with culture.

Unexpectedly, the morose timbre of the violin frolics at the edge of the melody and disappears like a tuneful spectre. I loved how it added an extra layer of poignancy to the moderato tempos, almost as if the vivacious façade was falling to reveal a tragedy amidst this narrative.

It would have been brilliant if this wasn’t an isolated occurrence in the track. I think, by not implementing the violin later in the single, it detriments the professional finish of the song’s texture. Although it fits beautifully with the single, it seems like a random addition, rather than a deliberate construction.

Despite this little nit-pick, I do appreciate the inclusion of the tambourine towards the end of the track. It adds a coy quivering that alludes to the vulnerability of the overall composition, resembling how our histories, once mighty and heroic, can succumb to the passage of time.

*

Onto the next track ‘What a Day’, Loyal Opposition concocts a shimmering blend of quaint piano and loud-quiet drums to swell an atmosphere of looming adventure/discovery.

Unfortunately, as the drumbeat grows more brilliantly belligerent, the composition of the melody is derailed into cacophony with an erratic insurgence of effects that seem directionless.

Although it does mirror the unpredictability of a manic day, I feel like the rhythm would’ve benefitted from a controlled, refined approach as seen in ‘Byzantine’.

As the snarling guitar and volcanic drumbeat tear at one another for dominance in the harmonies, the melody is capsized and sounds like two respective instrumentals were spliced together.

I can appreciate the vigour in which Loyal Opposition incorporates with that acidic drumbeat, but I am sad to say this track is too callously strung together for my tastes.

*

The final song I will be looking at from the album is of the name ‘A Song For John Cassavetes’.

The track starts with a plume of sonorous pulses; casting a stormy, foreboding ambience that immediately caught my attention. It exudes an atmosphere of strength and intensity that entices the listener to work out what every harmony is revealing about this relationship.

Leaping to life with the zestful drumbeat, the melody is punched with emphatic piano – for me, this almost verges on too much instrumentation, but – as the track progresses - the pebble-skipping rhythm of the piano captivated my ears. It was like I was listening to an emotive passage of time, as the pitch got higher, I felt as if I was hearing how strained the relationship had become.

The tone was almost poignant, but then weirdly enough, the composition took a sharp turn and I felt as if I was playing an arcade game from the early 90s amongst the youthful, 16-bit texture of the melody. Although I found it quite charming and nostalgic, it didn’t seem to fit seamlessly; once again, it sounded like two separate pieces had been sliced into one song.

Even after such a jarring change in tone, the melody changes once more. Slowing into an adagio tempo, the piano and the drumbeat gambol around each other as if in a romantic union, which actually sounded quite dainty and mellifluent. The rhythm was roused rubescent and I found myself wishing the entire track was an expansion of the conclusive segment.

*

‘Loyal Opposition – II’ is a daunting kaleidoscope of melodies and emotions. Whilst there is slivers of gold amongst the chaos, I think Loyal Opposition needs to take some time to refine his style, control his compositions and focus on the story he wants to convey to his fanbase. This is a classic example of when less is more, and I want to see Loyal Opposition bounce back and truly rarefy his style.

Till next time.

 

Loyal Opposition’s Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

Comments